INFORMATION BEING DEVELOPED BY COMMITTEE CHAIR
In 1952, Dr. Garland D. Murphy Jr. gave to The American Legion a large contribution that would benefit children. The Legion and Murphy entered into a trust agreement that established the Child Welfare Foundation, approved by the National Executive Committee on Oct. 15, 1953.
Though created by the Legion, the Child Welfare Foundation, Inc., is a separate 501(c)3 corporation. CWF accepts funding proposals from nonprofit organizations for projects that contribute to the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual welfare of children. Grants are only given to entities that help U.S. children in a large geographic area; they are not awarded for day-to-day operating expenses or special operating expenses.
In 1955, the foundation made its first three grants, totaling $22,500, to three organizations: the Delinquency Control Institute, the National Association for Retarded Children and the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness. To date, more than $13 million has been awarded to assist our nation’s children.